Join our Conservation Volunteer Program
The Global White Lion Protection Trust’s (WLT) primary objective is the ‘world-first’ re-establishment and protection of White Lions in the wild in their endemic area – the Greater Timbavati region. The White Lion Trust operates within a modern conservation paradigm: conservation through sustainable development, with particular emphasis on community participation, education and cultural upliftment.
The White Lion Trust offers an exclusive opportunity for suitable candidates to volunteer or do an internship with the Tsau White Lion Conservation Project. Successful candidates are trained as active members of the conservation monitoring and research team. They are not just members of a student/volunteer program. As such volunteers / interns need to be very dynamic and adaptable to the changing day-to-day needs of the project. Candidates have a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience whilst making a valuable contribution to the long-term conservation of the white lions.
If you are between the ages of 18 and 80.
If you are in the fields of conservation, environmental science, wildlife management, ecology or wildlife biology, wildlife journalism, wildlife photography, veterinary science, animal behavioural studies or related fields you will benefit from the scientific aspect of this project.
If you have a genuine interest in sustainable conservation.
If you are interested in indigenous cultural aspects and spiritual belief systems relation to the white lions.
If you are flexible, adaptable and self-sufficient.
If you are one of the above, then come and join us for a life changing experience!
“Looking back, we can both see the wonderful changes that we have been through. How much we have grown and opened up to all of nature around us. Now being able to appreciate the wonders of life every day, and treating the environment with much more thought, no matter if in Africa or any other place around the world. Volunteering with the Global White Lion Protection Trusts Team has been a great way to learn more about the incredible projects each one of us can accomplish and be part of. It is a wonderful way to stay connected to social justice issues and learn more about environmental activism – and to help the White Lion Trust to amplify the work done by the change-makers all over the globe.”
Harry and Isabel – 4 x volunteers at the White Lion Trust from Austria.
Two weeks, specific dates available upon request
- R7500/week – Including VAT
- 25% deposit to secure a placement (non-refundable)
- Full payment must be made before arrival to the White Lion Trust
- Returning volunteers get a 15% discount
- Food will be provided and volunteers get to take turns to cook for each other.
- Training by qualified members of the conservation and management team
- Cooking and laundry facilities [self-service]
- Weekly trip to town for food and other supplies
- Transfers from airport/bus stop on a Tuesday
- Internet and e-mail access
- Travel and medical insurance
- Transport related to any additional (non-White Lion Trust) activities (ie. anything except the weekly town trip, the drop-off/pickup on day of arrival and departure, and scheduled White Lion Trust outings) is not included; independent shuttle companies/car hire services are available from Hoedspruit at the volunteer’s own expense.
Volunteers can expect to engage in the following activities (some will seasonal):
- Lion-tracking using telemetry
- Recording of lion behavior
- Lion supplementary feeding (during veterinary treatment or ‘boma bonding’)
- Erosion control
- Gabion construction
- Alien plant control
- Boma (acclimation enclosure) clearing
- Herbivore / Game counts
- Predator/Prey study
- Data capturing of research information
- Starlion Eco-cultural education program
- Organic food-growth programs
- Community re-cycling projects
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact
Volunteer Program Manager:
Dorothee – email@example.com
Volunteer dates for 2018:
Our volunteer program is currently under review.